HYFLEX Learning Model
What is Hyflex Learning? HyFlex learning makes class meetings and materials available so that students can access them online or in-person, during or after class sessions. All students, regardless of the path taken, will achieve the same learning objectives. In MPP Academy’s Hyflex program, students will:
- Participate in face-to-face synchronous class sessions in-person (in a university classroom)
- Participate in face-to-face class sessions via video conference (e.g., Zoom)
- Participate fully asynchronously via MPP@GoogleClassroom.
- The MPP learning experience combines:
- Live, face-to-face online class sessions with faculty and other students via Zoom, for up to 2 hours per week, typically on the weekend, from Mid/Late September through Mid June, for 30-35 weeks.
- Individual and group assignments completed online, and
- One-day intensive class sessions in-person on a university campus once per semester on a Saturday. Students will not meet during holidays.
- MPP students take pre-med foundational courses and a variety of college and career readiness workshops throughout the year.
- To learn more about the program activities or courses students will take during the program, please visit our Program Curriculum page.
- During the uncertainty of travel during the COVID-19 pandemic, we introduced a Hyflex model that provides our students with the flexibility to choose how to participate in the “one day on-campus intensive class session” each term. Students are not required to attend the on-campus class session in-person. Students will be able to join the on-campus session virtually via Zoom.
- On-campus session dates will be provided to MPP students and their families.
Self-Paced Assignments and Live Online Class Sessions via Zoom
- Throughout the school year, from September through June, you will complete assigned coursework at your own pace and attend live online class sessions via Zoom with MPP faculty, on a Saturday or Sunday excluding holiday weekends, for up to 2 hours each class session.
- MPP faculty facilitate lectures and highly collaborative small group discussions in a live online format. These live online class sessions provide you with an opportunity to interact virtually with faculty and student colleagues.
On-Campus, Saturday Intensive Class Session
- MPP Students can choose to participate in the on-campus intensive class session in-person or virtually.
Throughout the academic year program, MPP students will attend 2 or 3 on-campus intensive class sessions in-person or virtually with their cohort (typically students will attend one on-campus class session, each semester: Fall, Winter, and Spring) at various MPP Academy campus locations across the world.
- MPP students are not required to travel to the campus to participate in-person. MPP students can participate in the on-campus class session at home, virtually, via Zoom.
- MPP students are required to attend the class session at the campus location that they are enrolled in each semester. If space is available, students may request to join a class session at another MPP campus location.
When Participating in Person
- When MPP students attend intensive class sessions in person, students must travel to the campus location that they are enrolled in.
- Students will participate in:
- Class discussions, lectures and learning activities, group activities, university campus tours, medical school tours, site visits to hospitals and clinics, and social and recreational activities (fun activities with students and staff).
- MPP students are responsible for bringing their own lunch and snacks, and a water bottle to stay hydrated.
- Students can expect to be on-campus for about 3 – 7 hours. Pre-arrival and departure information along with a detailed itinerary or program schedule will be provided to students and families.
- In-person class sessions are contingent on favorable public health conditions and a minimum number of participants.
If Participating Online
- If MPP students decide to attend an on-campus intensive class session online, students will join class discussions and lectures virtually via Zoom.
- Students will participate in:
- Class discussions, lectures and learning activities via Zoom.
- Unfortunately, students will not be able to participate in “in-person” group activities, university campus tours, medical school tours, site visits to hospitals and clinics, and social and recreational activities (fun activities with students and staff).